Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act (HIPAA) Training
The University of Minnesota provides online training courses to comply with HIPAA (the Health Insurance Portability & Accountability Act of 1996) regulations. Although the University’s data privacy and security training courses fulfill the training requirement contained within the HIPAA rule, they also provide the entire University community, including those who do not work with protected health information covered by HIPAA, with information about securing private University data.
The training program consists of two courses that University employees, students, and volunteers complete online. To be considered compliant with the University’s HIPAA Training requirement, individuals must complete both courses:
- (HIPAA16) HIPAA Training; and
- (PJPD16) University Information Security Awareness Training.
Individuals who are assigned training receive an email notification containing details about accessing the training in ULearn.
In addition to the required online training, Health Information Privacy & Compliance Office staff members are available to provide live training to your department. This is an excellent option if you feel your group could use a HIPAA refresher or if you need a speaker for a regularly scheduled staff meeting. Please contact us to schedule a speaker.
How to Access Training
Questions About Training
Privacy Coordinators with questions about proxy enrolling in ULearn can look to these job aids to see if their question is answered in one of the guides created by the Office of Information Technology.
Trainees can get many questions about training answered by contacting Technology Help. Questions that are appropriate to ask Technology Help about include:
- Why am I required to take these training courses?
- Where can I find the training courses?
- I'm having trouble accessing the training - what do I do?
- Where can I see the training courses assigned to me?
- Where is the record showing the training courses I completed?
- Why doesn't the training record show I have completed my courses?
- I'm having trouble with ULearn - what do I do?